LONG POND, Pa. (June 6, 2017) – We know the sounds of the cars, the noise an air gun makes and the roar of the crowd as the green flag is waved. But what about the songs? We have created Pocono Raceway Spotify playlists and we need your help for others.
Pocono Raceway, drivers and crew members from JR Motorsports and of course our mascot Tricky and President & CEO Brandon Igdalsky have provided an inside look at their musical tastes. As part of this, we are seeking input from our fans.
To access Pocono Raceway on Spotify, visit spotify.com and search Pocono Raceway.
“We are excited to be on Spotify and show off all of our musical tastes,” said Igdalsky. “I guess this is the new mix tape. This will be fun to see what songs our fans relate to Pocono Raceway and a cool way to engage our tremendous fans. Also our thanks to JR Motorsports for sharing some deep secrets from inside the race shop.”
What song do you think of when you think of Pocono Raceway? What is one track you always play while you are camping? As you are driving to the track, is there a certain tune you always listen to?
Let us know your thoughts and be included in this fun project. We are seeking songs for the four below playlists and want your favorites. Send @poconoraceway the name of the song, artist and which playlist by using #PoconoSpotify on Twitter and Instagram or email email@example.com.
PLAYLIST: Ultimate Pocono Raceway Tailgate
PLAYLIST: Ultimate Pocono Raceway Road Trip
PLAYLIST: Ultimate Pocono Raceway Workout
PLAYLIST: Ultimate Pocono Raceway Victory Lane Celebration
Not only did JR Motorsports capture the songs they play in the race shop, they also provided reasons why. Read below:
- Elliott Sadler, Driver – Separate Ways by Journey: “It has to be 80’s hairband. It has to be Journey, so I’m going to play Separate Ways by Journey because that what me and all my buddies jam to at home—that style of music.”
- Michael Annett, Driver – All the Small Things by Blink 182: “I had a brief punk rock stage in High School and whenever I hear that songs it reminds me of all my old friends back home and jumping around acting like we knew how to play the guitar 🎸”
- Justin Allgaier, Driver – Castle on the Hill by Ed Sheeran: “It’s my current favorite song.”
- William Byron, Driver – Kids by OneRepublic: “It’s just a great song, and I really like all of OneRepublic’s music.”
- Kelley Earnhardt Miller, VP of JR Motorsports – Back Where I Come From by Kenny Chesney: “Being really close to my roots and my love of family, this song encompasses that emotional feeling I get when I think about growing up in Kannapolis and Mooresville,” Earnhardt Miller said. “Makes me think of days bailing hay with my dad on his farm, driving my beat up junk car on the logging roads and throwing Dale Jr around in the car before I was old enough to have a license, days on the lake with friends as a child, going to Sunday school, and just growing up in a small town and never forgetting where I’ve been and where I will always hope to be here in NC!”
- TJ Majors, Spotter for Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Justin Allgaier – Clocks by Coldplay, Beautiful Day by U2, and Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve: “I’ve always liked Coldplay. Beautiful Day is the first song I heard as I was leaving the hospital after my daughter, Madelynn was born, and Bittersweet Symphony was in my wedding.”
- Brett Griffin, Spotter for Elliott Sadler and Clint Bowyer – Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson: “MJ is the man!!”
- Scott Radel, Crew chief, 88 Team and Director of Engineering – Don’t Stop Believin’ by Journey: “No matter what happens, you have to keep trying and believe you can succeed.”
- Jason Stockert, Crew chief, 5 Team – Livin’ Part of Life by Eric Church: “It’s just a fun song.”
- Jonathan Davis, Car chief, 5 Team – Hunting, Fishing, Lovin’ Every Day by Luke Bryan: “It’s just a good, fun song. It’s kind of like a way out.”
- Ryan Shumate, Engineer Assistant, 7 Team – Kings of Summer by Ayokay: “It makes me feel like I’m out on the lake.”
- Allen Hart, Engineer, 7 Team – Favorite Liar by The Wrecks: “It popped up on my Spotify recently and it was super catchy. There’s a lot of Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, and Nirvana on my playlist, too. I have to show some of our younger crew real music. Not the music this generation is ruining.”
- Steven Rasmussen, Shock Specialist – Outta your Mind by Lil Jon: “It’s just me. It’s every day for me. I’m over all the teams at JRM.”
- Jacob Schauf, Mechanic, 9 Team – Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins: “Top Gun is a classic.”
- 1 team – Purple Rain by Prince: “We like to channel our inner Prince.”
- 5 team – Record Year by Eric Church
- 7 team – Enter Sandman by Metallica, I Will Survive by Diana Ross, and (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing: “It’s just us. They’re songs we always listen to in the lounge before we head out to practice depending on the mood. We got a spectrum going up on the 7.”
- 9 team – On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons, Life Is A Highway by Rascal Flatts
- PR & Marketing team – My House by Flo Rida – “It’s something we like to turn up and jam to when we are driving into any race track. It puts us in a really good mood. But if we sing the wrong words, Josh (Michael Annett’s PR rep) will force us into five minutes of radio silence as punishment.”
Pocono Raceway will host seven national motorsports events during the 2017 racing season, including a NASCAR XFINITY Series race on June 10. The Pocono 400 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) race is set for June 11, the Pennsylvania 400 MENCS race on July 30 and the ABC Supply 500 Verizon IndyCar Series race on August 20. The Pocono Mountains 150 NASCAR Camping World Truck race is scheduled for July 29 and two ARCA Series Presented by Menards races with General Tire #AnywhereIsPossible 200 on June 9 and the ARCA Racing Series 150 on July 28 offered as well.
Tickets for all races are now on sale at poconoraceway.com or by calling 1-800-RACEWAY.