Long Pond, PA. (April 28, 2011) — Pocono Raceway will be one of the recipients of the 2011 Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence, presented each year by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. The award highlights the best in environmental innovation and expertise throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It is the highest statewide honor bestowed upon businesses and organizations for environmental performance and innovation.
Pocono Raceway is receiving this award for the development of a three megawatt, ground-mount photovoltaic solar energy system that went online in September 2010. The 25-acre solar installation, with its 39,960 photovoltaic modules drawing energy from the sun, has become the primary electric energy source for the Raceway while adding enough electricity to the local power grid to power 1,000 homes. The Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence will be added to a list of awards already bestowed on Pocono Raceway for its solar facility and other environmental initiatives.
The recipients will be honored at a dinner tonight (April 28) at the Hilton Hotel in Harrisburg, PA. The Honorable Michael Krancer, Secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection, will serve as the keynote speaker and Richard Allan, Acting Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Conservation & Natural Resources will speak. Janelle Stelson, News Anchor for WGAL, Channel 8 television will be the program emcee.
Brandon Igdalsky, Raceway President and George Ewald, Raceway Vice-President will accept the award on behalf of Pocono Raceway.
The complete list of recipients of the 2011 Governor’s Award for Environmental Excellence:
- Allegheny Land Trust – Revitalizing Mt. Washington – The Emerald View Park Expansion – Allegheny County
- Carlisle Area School District – Carlisle School District 1 MW AC Solar Farm – Cumberland County
- East Lycoming School District – East Lycoming School District Goes Green – Lycoming County
- Engineered Plastics LLC-Post – Industrial Plastics Recycling: From Waste to Profit – Erie County
- Greater Lebanon Refuse Authority – GLRA Illegal Dump Survey, Cleanup and Prevention – Lebanon County
- Lehigh Valley Economic Development Corporation – Lehigh Valley Land Recycling Initiative – Lehigh County
- Optical Filters USA LLC – Reducing the Environmental Impact of Glass Processing – Optical Filters USA. Meadville – Crawford County
- Oxford Mining Company – Cross Creek Mine Reclamation – Washington and Jefferson Counties
- Philadelphia International Airport – Ground Service Equipment (GSE) Electrification at Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) – Philadelphia
- Pocono International Raceway, Inc. – Pocono Raceway Solar Farm – Monroe County
- Rieter Automotive, Bloomsburg – Carpet Recycling / Pollution Prevention Project- Columbia County
- Schuylkill Headwaters – AMD Treatment and Abatement – Schuylkill County
- Vessels Coal Gas, Inc. – Cambria 33 Gas Plant – Cambria County